Pages

Friday 14 March 2014

#55 - Kylie's Eating101: Basics of Healthy Eating Habits

I'm not sure if you have read this but recently I was featured on 
NTU's and inSing's facebook page

“If you freeze a very ripe papaya, it will taste like ice-cream.” 
NTU business undergrad and pageant winner Kylie Yuen tells HEY!
how she went from being a heavyweight of almost 100kg to a svelte 45kg today. 
Firstly, I wish to correct an unintentional error in the statement posted: 
I'm actually 54kg & I lost 45kg
and I am indeed within the healthy, acceptable BMI range
so I do hope viewers out there don't read too much into the weight issue 
and please always place health as top priority

I indeed feel blessed to be given such an opportunity to share my story to the readers out there
especially to the ones who share the same problems I used to have
I have blogged previously regarding my weight loss journey here:

#4: How I lost 45 kg, from the very beginning...


 There have been many readers sending me emails and asking me in the comments
for tips on how to lose weight and various problems met with your own weight loss journey
I must say that we are all different physically, genetically and thus our body function differently

Some of us gain/lose easily, some of us find it difficult 
and some gains muscle mass at a rate much faster than the average person

Some of us likes exercise, some doesn't
some of us live to eat, some eat to live
We all have our differences so there is no 1 for all miracle solution to solve everyone's problems

and most importantly, ask yourself if you really want to do it?
are you willing to give up whatever is stopping you from achieving your health goals?
if you say yes, then yes, can others help you as well 

Self-Discipline and Perseverance are the key drivers to losing weight
It won't be easy but once you get the hang of it, 
the new habits will become part of you

I'm quite an avid health article reader so I'll try to post as often as I can
about interesting new reads and facts :)
But to start off, here are some basic tips:


#1 - Exercise
Many asked me for my workout regime
Not everyone is a exercise-holic and we should respect that
by forcing yourself to do something you don't enjoy, you wouldn't last long
However this doesn't mean I recommend you to laze around and watch TV
Do still make an effort to walk, move, climb stairs and 'be active' in a sense

Maybe some group sports? I personally prefer badminton, swimming, cycling
Sports which I can do with my peers. Definitely boosts my endurance.
Currently I intend to take up some swing yoga classes 
with my girl friends once summer break starts :)
and for weight loss, it's definitely 80% diet, 10% genes and 10% exercise
so don't force yourself into the gym and plan a hardcore workout routine if it isn't your style


#2 - Eat Clean
i.e. Eating whole foods that are as close to its natural state as possible
vegetables, fruits, meats, seafood, whole grains
with that, I don't mean eating them raw
cooking is definitely fine! steam, boil, stir-fry, bake just not deep frying

Try to eat at home so as to keep track of what goes into your food
however if that is difficult, being Singaporeans, we are lucky to have food courts 
where real food are served affordable compared to the limited fast food outlets in some countries 
whether we make good choices or not is another thing
one suggestion is to reduce carbs and fill up more on vegetables and meats


#3 - Skip the Processed Stuff
avoid the man-made stuff, sugar substitutes, fortified, preservatives, flavorings
limit anything that has unpronounceable words in the ingredients list 
try to avoid 'convenient food' and snacks, sweet drinks
these things wasn't meant to be naturally disintegrated by your body

many researches are showing that these stuff have potential weight gain 
and additive effects, making you wanting to eat them more
such as zero calorie sugar substitutes, supposedly good for weight loss
but studies show otherwise

Making good eating choices not only helps with your weight
but also your mood, energy levels and complexion
Eating clean has improved my attention span, sleeping habits
& my friends compliment me for my glowing complexion
no foundation, just good lighting and eye make up
Your body is a temple so maintain it by eating clean as much as possible
a little treat occasionally isn't disastrous
& when you do decide to treat yourself, don't beat yourself up and give up previous efforts
just go back on track and you'll be fine, trust me :)

On a side track, school is really busy
Summer break starts in May and I really can't wait for it!
will be planning a charity event called Treasure 8 to raise funds for an old folks home
and also, to organize NBS pageant 2014 for the incoming freshmen
in between, I hope to slot in some time for personal holiday trips..vietnam?

p.s. feel free to ask me questions in the comments, I'll try my best 
take care, lots of love: Kylie Y.

40 comments:

  1. u look so pretty now! I have always been obese in the past and started to lose weight since poly times.i understand how you have went through. It was definitely a tough period and needed alot of determination! But now it seems that i am starting to gain weight:(need those motivations back! Wanna ask if you know how to minimise or remove the stretch marks?? I am still not so confident even though I have lost weight due to the stretch marks:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. stretch marks really heals better at a younger age. it fades too with time, I suggest drinking more water and foods containing collagen. I do am a victim of stretch marks but I have learnt to embrace them and treat them more as battle scars from a war I walked out victorious. Be confident in your own skin, outside views don't matter. take care :)

      Delete
    2. Hey! Came across your blog. It's inspiration! Very motivating for people who wanne go on a target weight loss journey. It was quite daunting to step up the scale. One day, I got horrified. I hit 95kg. That's obesity for a 5.6! Begin my weight lost journey. Till date 15kg down. :) half more journey to go man! I have bad stretch marks as well. Tried many products I could find off the rack/online. Non work. BUT I tried bio oil. Close to 2 months of application. It does help to fade those ugly battle scars slowly. But have to bear with the smell though. :) Thank you Kylie for the external motivation! ;) kim

      Delete
  2. No pain no gain. Your hard effort paid off well. You are the role model to many. Respect ya, Kylie. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so slim and gorgeous! I really admire your determination and I hope to emulate that! ^^
    Can I ask what your height is?? I'm about 54kg as well but 158cm so I look rather short and storky (I do quite a bit of sport so people have said I'm more muscular than toned - not good) :( Trying to lose back to 48kg though. Also how do you lose a muffin top???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :)
      honestly, I envy girls who are muscular, afterall being toned means having muscles. comparing muscles and fats of the same volume, muscles definitely weigh more but thats good! muscle burns more calories than fats, so you'll have a much better metabolism than most. thus it's not right to judge one simply by height and weight, theres bone mass, muscle mass etc.

      but if you really wish to cut out some muscles, maybe you can do less strength-intensive activities? maybe cut down some protein as well. but personally, I think muscles is good and whatever shape you are in as long as you are in good health. and right! stretching helps too to lengthen out the muscles so they dont look as bulky.

      hope it helps! take care :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Kylie, what do you think are better alternatives to eating white rice (on a daily basis)? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my family eats red rice, I personally recommend oatmeal, sweet potatoes or pumpkins :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Kylie, really inspired by your post. I have been overweight for as long as I can remember. I don't have a habit of exercising (and have stopped for 5 years) but I want to start, so was wondering how you started your exercise regime? Did you go to the gym to get a personal trainer and what specific workouts other than sports do you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did slow jogs around my neighborhood. not a hardcore exercise enthusiast myself but I try to move as much as possible. walking and stairs instead of lifts or transport. I also follow interesting workouts on youtube, dont have to go all intense, choose accordingly to what you can handle! gotta like it in order to endure it :)

      Delete
  6. Hi since instant oat meal is bad, do you know where to get old-fashioned rolled oats? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty at supermarkets! I personally prefer Quaker's original rolled oats, it's a yellow packet. just avoid flavored, quickcook and jnstant varieties :)

      Delete
  7. Hi sweetie! I'm just wondering, I have been thinking of having this as my daily routine but I'm not too sure if it is feasible, please give me some suggestion if possible! :>

    Breakfast: A light one, perhaps Posts Blueberry Cereals coupled with yoghurt (they are not fat-free or Greek yoghurt though, just the conventional Aloe Vera ones, because they taste nicer though it's slightly unhealthier).

    Lunch: Subway? Or something along that line. I'm trying to cut down on white rice as much as possible, and I usually don't consume them, perhaps only once a week (:

    Dinner: Oatmeal + Fruits/yoghurt.

    As for exercising, I'll try to do some jumping jacks at home, probably only 15 minutes. It's not intense but it will be done on a daily basis. And swimming or jogging thrice a week.


    I'm still schooling but I wish to lose around 4KG within 1-2 months so that I can embrace my Year 2 in Poly with a more confident and prettier outlook. Thanks dear for helping! ^^ You inspired me to lose weight heh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there :)
      Breakfast: I don't recommend cereals with artificial flavorings though. greek yoghurt is fine, most of the times non-fat is replaced with extra sugar so you may want to read into the nutritional labels. maybe oatmeal with unsweetened soymilk and low fat milk and some fruits?

      Lunch: will you be having bread to go with that? wraps are good though. and deli meats hmm. personally I have TONS of vegetables and some fish or lean meat at the side for lunch. veg are very low in calories and you can eat loads of them. along with protein and little bit of good fats, it keeps me full till dinner without snacking.

      dinner: oatmeal is good! the orginal rolled not the quickcook or instant! fruits are good too but i think you need some protein! and make sure it's able to sustain you till breakfast. sucks to wake up in the mid of the night hungry or famished for breakfast.

      importantly drink lots of water during the day. natural green tea is good too.

      light exercise is good no problem w that :)

      all the best!!

      Delete
  8. Are you a hardcore workout-holic? Cause to be honest, I don't really fancy exercising though I too, enjoy swimming and badminton at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely not a workout-holic. hahaha. walking long hours while shopping is my preferred form of cardio. LOL/

      Delete
  9. Hello! Just a quick question, I'm quite apprehensive about the after weight-loss effect, the period whereby one gains back as much as he/she loses after he/she stops dieting for a while. Are you still watching your diet and exercising regularly, even though your weight has stabilized for almost 2 years? Because I honestly don't wish to diet for the rest of my life TT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my healthy eating habits has become part of my lifestyle. I love the food I eat. they're healthy and delicious at the same time. you have to give time for your taste buds to adjust :) there's always healthier alternatives to guilty indulgences just gotta be diligent!

      Delete
  10. What do you cook oatmeal with? Like for sweetening etc. Milk or anything? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. normally i just pour hot water over and cover it for a while. my family has our own soy milk blender, so I pour it over the 'cooked' oatmeal. you may stir skim milk or low fat milk otherwise with oatmeal over the stove. :) add some real fruits if you want something sweet!

      Delete
    2. You mean you don't cook it over fire? How long do you cover it? And normally how much oatmeal do you consume each time? :)

      Your family buys raw soy beans and blend it? oo May I know how to blend it?

      THANKS!

      Delete
    3. Raw rolled oats have to be cooked over stove. Rinse it with water a few times first before cooking so it removes some of the starch (carbs). Also eat it when it's cooled.

      You can blend raw soy beans using a blender but soy beans have to be soaked at least 4 hours or overnight prior to blending. If you can, buy only GMO Free soybeans.

      Delete
  11. Hola! We've met, we've studied together, but I'd remain anonymous. Just to say it's been great knowing you and being able to witness almost the entire of your weightloss journey! I've never said it before, and it may have came abit late, but, congratulations on your successful weightloss! It's good to know you're much much much happier these days compared to when I first met you. Wishing you more success in the near future. Hope to see you around soon, probably would bump into you coincidentally again. Ciao~ =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello I read that your family buys nuts from Mustafa. May I know which shop exactly to get from (address/name/unit no etc)? Thankyou!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ive trier everything to lose weight but I need tge motivation , I know myself I wanna do it bug I work so much that during my break I get vey hungry and all I want to do is binge . Please help me how to motivate myself.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My body is quite thin, but i have chubby cheeks ._. How do i get rid of the chubby-ness? I really dont like them haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I don't see any old-fashioned oats in the supermarkets :( they only have Instant (red packet) & Quickcook (blue pkt) ones.. May I know where you got your from? Tks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. got mine at ntuc extra at NEX!

      Delete
    2. You can get organic ones at bigger fair price. The brand is origins and it's rolled oats. Nutritional value is better than Quakers and less carbs also. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    3. Alright THANK YOU SO MUCH :*

      Delete
  16. Hi!there.If you dont mind me asking,do you have any tips that you can share on how you maintain a good gpa in your business school be it in poly/uni?Sorry to side-track from this diet topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. all I can suggest is study practice and revise somemore. read broadly, google and learn stuff you do not catch in class, revise past year papers. be really diligent and sometimes if grades doesnt come out as expected, dont give up and just continue to work harder. attitude and discipline are the key to everything we do. p.s. I find a quiet undisruptive and organised environment works best for me. and btw please do relax and chill when you need to :)

      Delete
    2. thank you:)

      Delete
    3. As for the section on reading broadly,what kind of books should a business student read up?Does it also include reading newspapers on a daily basis?

      Delete
  17. Hi Kylie! How do you maintain a good diet and eat clean while staying on campus?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.